Progress

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

From Belgium to Monaco - up and over

From Belgium to Monaco - up and over

Overview
Previously I have been cruising around in the northern part of Europe visiting friends, which has been great, but now it was time to embrace the other joy of a motorcycle trip: Riding the twisties. For besides from Norway, there hasn't been any proper roads for me to ride on. Even my trusted winding road finding GPS couldn't provide me with some real motorcycle roads. But leaving Belgium, all of that would change. The following scores are my evaluation of the roads outside of the highways.

Belgium 1/5
I have to say that this country really did not impress road wise. The surface was ok inside the small towns, but going outside of towns was quite horrible. And since the country is flatter than a Norwegian waffle, the roads are straigther than  John Wayne voting for Reagan on a horse. Belgium gets one stars since it doesn't take long to get out of the country (No offence to any Belgian readers).

Mid France 3/5
Moving into France the roads became quite different. Instead of having good surface in cities and crap outside, the french chose the opposite approach. Great surface on the countryside, and real world bump mapping in towns. The roads where not impressively twisting, but you can cruise at a legal 90 km/h and not become bored. Highways costs money and are unnecessary. 

Switzerland 3/5
Switzerland was good, and I can see potential for good twisties, but the surface was kind of crap. Some really nice roads up towards St. Bernards pass, but after the final few kilometers I was praying that my kidneys where still in place.







St. Bernards Pass 2469m





Italy 4/5
Italy had a great first impression. Coming down from St. Bernards pass was some of the best roads I have ridden. Smooth surface and no traffic. I can't remember having a smoother ride than this. The morning after it rained heavily and I chose to take the highway to eat up some kilometers. When the sun finally cleared up, I got off the high way, but sadly I was in the low lands.  Flat and straight. But cranking up some tunes and drying up in the sun was better than the rainy Aosta valley. Towards the end of the day I approach another mountain pass, and the long stretch in the planes is rewarded with some great winding roads. Skipping a tunnel, I go to the top of the ski resort near Panice Soprana. The winding road  down took me back into the south of France and down to Monaco where the warm Mediterranean greeted me. After some frantic driving inside Monaco I finally arrive at my couchsurfer-host.




The Mediterranean at last











No comments:

Post a Comment